I just purchased the ESV Single-Column Legacy Bible, published by Crossway. This beautiful Bible is "a text-only edition with a fresh design. Based on the Renaissance ideal of a perfect page, it features a simple, clear layout that includes wide margins. With a concordance, full-color maps in the back, and the readable ESV text, this is a quality edition that can be read and enjoyed for a lifetime." (link) I chose the TruTone®, Brown/Saddle, Timeless Design.
The English Standard Version has been embraced by a wide variety of Evangelical believers, from Calvinists to Arminians, and Presbyterians to Anglicans and Baptists. What follows is a brief praise for the translation:
- Retaining the majesty of language with the clarity of thought, the English Standard Version is a grand accomplishment. -- Dr. Ravi Zacharias, Author and Speaker
- I have been using the ESV Bible for study and teaching since it came out. I think it's the best overall translation available. It is thoroughly readable, accurate, and trustworthy, with excellent cross references. -- The Rev. John Yates, II, Rector, The Falls Church, Falls Church, Virginia
- An excellent translation that can be trusted. -- Dr. John F. Walvoord, Chancellor, Dallas Theological Seminary
- I believe the ESV is the Bible of the future. It is readable, accurate, and reverent. -- Dr. Thomas R. Schreiner, Professor of New Testament, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- I recommend the ESV as the best literal translation for Bible study in my hermeneutics class and in Bible study seminars. Congratulations on a job well done. -- Dr. Grant R. Osborne, Professor of New Testament, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (Deerfield, Illinois)
- Meticulous care and passionate research make the ESV a crisp, accurate, and valuable translation. -- Max Lucado, Minister, Oak Hills Church of Christ
- The ESV beautifully blends good, contemporary English with reverence and accuracy. -- Dr. Erwin W. Lutzer, Senior Pastor, Moody Church, Chicago, Illinois
- Romans 3:25: "[Christ Jesus] ... whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins";
- Romans 9:5: "To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ, who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen";
- 2 Timothy 3:16: "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness"; and
- Hebrews 1:3a: "He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power."
I wish the Bible had included cross references. But the project's goal was to construct a Bible that contained as little distraction on the page itself. When I remember that the early manuscripts had neither cross references nor any other helps, I become less critical. I bought my ESV Legacy Bible from CBD, Christian Book Distributors, for $31.49. I cannot give any higher praise for its beauty, quality, and affordability.